Death camp in Treblinka (Treblinka II), established in the mid-1942, became one of the most murderous killing sites in Nazi-occupied Europe. Approximately 800,000 Jews, mainly from Poland, but also from Czechoslovakia, Greece, USSR, France, Yugoslavia, Germany and Austria were killed here by gassing. On August 2, 1943, a revolt was launched by inmates which enabled some 100 people to escape from Treblinka. Following the rising Nazis decided to liquidate the camp, eliminating all the signs of their crime by ploughing the terrain up and planting lupine. In 1963 Treblinka II Memorial, designed by Adam Haupt, Franciszek Duszenko and Franciszek Strynkiewicz, was unveiled. It commemorates entire communities murdered here and marks boundaries of the former death site.